Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Grandpa

My sweet grandpa (my dad's father) went to be with Jesus on September 22, 2011. What a blessing that he had 89 years on earth. What a greater blessing that, because of God's grace, he is now experiencing eternity with Him.

He had been sick for awhile, and hospice was finally called the last few weeks of his life. So, we made a quick trip up to visit him, less than two weeks before he passed away. I will always be thankful that we made the 4-hour trip to see him. His mind was still there 100%, and we had some great conversation and sweet time together.

I took a few pictures as we headed home that night. Luke and Jack gave him some sweet hugs and kisses.

And I had some great words with him, too.
As we were pulling out of his driveway, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the evening was. The moon was amazing. I wanted a picture to remember how bittersweet I felt leaving that night, knowing that Grandpa was about to be free from suffering, but knowing how much I would miss him.
We ended up staying the night in a hotel in Dallas, just to get away. I just wanted to include this sweet picture of Jack cuddling up on Baby Noah.
We had his funeral three days after he passed away. It was great to be reunited with all my cousins and spend time with family. My sister and brother Billy were already in town for the Aggie game that weekend, so it worked out perfectly for them to be there too. My brother Jason actually officiated the funeral. The Lord really used him to proclaim the hope of the gospel to my grieving family. It was so hard, but good. God is good. All the time.

Love you, Grandpa.

No comments: