Friday, May 2, 2008

Shelter

This ended up being quite an eventful day for the Melton's. The skies were definitely dark this morning, but I thought it was just a typical spring storm that would come and go...I didn't even check the weather. Luke and I were enjoying our morning as usual...breakfast, playtime, Elmo. Then, it was getting close to naptime, so I started reading Luke a few of his favorite books, as usual. Then, I got a phone call from my mother-in-law telling me to find shelter...the storm headed right for Tyler was already producing tornadoes. Yikes!

I turned on the weather, and started thinking...fast. We really don't have the perfect inner room in our house without windows, except our TINY coat closet in the living room. I immediately started taking all of the heavy items out of storage in the closet so they wouldn't fall on us, in the event of a tornado. I gave Luke his pony and blanket, and we just sat on the floor by the closet and waited, watching the news. I thought the worst was north of us, but then the meteorologist said, "There are reports of tornadoes in SOUTH TYLER, heading east", which is RIGHT where we live. Double yikes! Then, the storm started, the lights went out, the tornado sirens began blaring, and we got an emergency phone call that said to seek shelter immediately. Whoever came up with all of those warnings is brilliant...I'm sure it's saved multiple lives. Macie, Luke and I hunkered down in the closet, and I prayed for both of them to stay calm, or else this was going to be the longest 15 minutes of my life. God was faithful, and Luke actually fell asleep. Macie tends to fear storms, so, although she was confused, I could tell she felt more secure being right there with us. The space is so small, Luke and pillows were surrounding me...I was sweating up a storm! During that time, I prayed that God would calm the storm and protect our city. I didn't realize until later, but I was shaking. As a parent, it's amazing how you don't even care how you are doing as long as your child is safe.

I then heard the "all clear" sirens. Whew! What's amazing is that the meteorologist later said that the rotation in the clouds literally broke apart over Tyler, while they were expecting it to get stronger. Thank you, Lord. I'm confident that it was a direct answer to prayer.

I know that seeking shelter from storms is normal for so many. Not for me. It's the only time I can ever remember having to hide during a storm. It made me realize that we're not immune from these things. While my closet was our physical shelter, I knew that my heart was protected by the ultimate Shelter.

"I long to dwell in your tent forever and take shelter in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 61:4

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:5-8

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1


Thank you, Lord, for your protection and shelter.

On top of this, our sweet boy is teething, big time. I know for sure his top 2, if not his top 4, teeth are popping through right now. His gums are so red, and he has a fever. We can definitely see his teeth right there, popping through. He is miserable - I've never seen him like this. We're definitely doing Orajel, Tylenol and teethers. Poor boy...it's tough growing up.

5 comments:

Kristyn said...

wow, y'all did have an eventful day!! Glad you're okay and hope Luke look feels better. Can't daddy fix those teeth! J/k ;)

Abby said...

I'm so glad y'all were safe and Luke handled it so well! I can't even imagine, but I felt like I was right there in the closet with you as I read the post :) Just found Greg's comment on my blog which led me to yours. Glad to be able to peek into your world and enjoy seeing your family. 2 more weeks and my first year is over! So, so glad to make it through this storm! ;)

Melton Family said...

Looks like we had a similar morning. I posted something very similar on our blog. That is crazy. I'm glad ya'll were OK!

Momo said...

Alissa...keep that closet ready because this is spring time in East Texas! Next time it storms, I might come join you and Luke. Maybe you better be preparing us a bigger closet! I love you all...

andrea said...

I'm so glad you are safe... wish i was there to sit in the closet with yall. We could have had a fun flashlight party.