Sunday, January 29, 2012

November 9, 2011

I apologize in advance for the insane amount of pictures and details in this post. I post this mainly for our memory.

Having gone into labor early with Luke and Jack, it was a unique experience this time to be induced. We woke up early on November 9th, feeling so surreal that it was our long-awaited Noah's birth day! We called the hospital to make sure there was a room for us, and they informed us to come right away. Kissing Luke and Jack goodbye was a little emotional for me. Then, Greg and I were on our way to St. Joseph Hospital to have our baby boy! It was a beautiful, sunny, brisk autumn day.

We checked in and were sent up to Labor & Delivery on the third floor. We were greeted by the sweetest nurse, April. We have been blessed with great nurses for all three boys. I told all three of them that they are my new heroes.
I love, love my OB, Dr. Appleton. She is laid back, listens well, is confident and desires to do exactly what I wished. She checked my dilation right away, and I was already at a FIVE! I don't know how I wasn't already in active labor...a FIVE! Anyway, she broke my water, and allowed me to walk around for about an hour to see if things would progress naturally afterward. So, Greg and I began our venture around the hospital. I felt so blessed as I was walking that we were at the hospital for such a joyous reason, unlike the rest of the hospital.
Greg ate some yummy breakfast at the cafeteria. I wasn't allowed, so Greg felt bad. But, I assured him that I wanted him to eat and feel well that day.
After an hour or so, contractions did begin to pick up some, but nothing significant. So, they started my pitocin around 10:00.
There was a very quiet, peaceful time for Greg and me between 10-12ish. I think we even napped. Around noon, my contractions got pretty strong, so I went ahead and asked for an epidural. This went really smoothly - great anesthesiologist! With Jack, my blood pressure dropped dangerously low right after the epidural, and I had to have some medication. So, this time, they gave me extra fluids to avoid this. I would later learn that these extra fluids made my whole body extra swollen!

Shortly after the epidural, Greg's parents showed up from Tyler and met my mom and the boys at the hospital. We all visited a few minutes before Greg's parents took the boys to Chick-Fil-A for lunch.
Luke was very confused as to why the baby wasn't already there. Such a hard concept to teach a four-year-old!
Jack wore Papa's glasses!
My contractions were pretty strong!
Around 1:30, I was checked and was only at a six. Dr. Appleton was pretty surprised. She thought I would have had him by then, since he was my third baby. But, I remembered that I was "stuck" at a six with both of my other boys. Then, it just progressed rapidly after that.
We took a picture of the clock each time I was checked. This was when I was a six:
We had a bit of a scare with the epidural. I started feeling numb all the way up to my collar bone area. You're not supposed to feel numb above your belly. So, my nurse called the anesthesiologist and was instructed to turn my epidural meds off and elevate my body so that the meds could stay down. I stayed numb for a long time...my nurse grew a bit concerned. Finally, I started feeling things again. I don't think they started the epidural again until right before I pushed!

About an hour later, I started shaking uncontrollably and feeling lots of pressure. Noah was on the move! My nurse checked, and I was at a seven!

I thought I would have progressed further than just one centimeter. But, my nurse suddenly got her game face on, and all sorts of people started entering the room to prepare things. She also called Dr. Appleton, who had gone back to the clinic. She later told me that she can tell when a mom is about to give birth. Sure enough, just 15 very uncomfortable minutes later, I was at a NINE!

We suddenly both got very emotional. It was about to happen! We were about to meet our sweet Noah! The tears were flowing!
Dr. Appleton came in and got ready (in the background).
Just three pushes later, Noah Brooks was born at 3:11 pm. One of the best moments of my life. I will never forget the anxiety of feeling him come out, hearing his cry, and waiting to see him for the first time while his nose was suctioned and Greg cut the cord. Those 20ish seconds felt like 20 minutes!
There he is!
They immediately placed him on my chest, which we have pictures of, but none of them are blog-appropriate! ;) I love those moments when I see them for the first time, see their eyes open and observe their skin turn pink. Such a miracle!

Also, one of our most memorable happenings of Noah's birth was when Greg cut the cord. Somehow, he cut it in the wrong place and blood. flew. everywhere. Everywhere! My doctor's shoes, the walls, my legs, the floor...everywhere. They assured us that it didn't hurt Noah, but it sure was creepy-looking!

St. Joseph is a teaching hospital, so there were so many people in the room. After our bonding time with him on my chest, they took him and started their cleaning/assessments.
He looks so much like Luke's newborn pictures!
Ahhh..laying under the warmer.
Greg is one proud Daddy.

The first time Greg held him:


I love how he automatically grabbed my finger. Such a sweet moment.

We knew right away that he was smaller than my other two. We also knew that his head was smaller because the hospital cap never fit Luke or Jack. :)

We were so instantly in love with this sweet baby.
Proud Nana took pictures to send to the rest of the family. She was so sweet and just acted as our photographer. Sadly, there aren't many pictures of her that day because she was behind the camera for the majority of the day.
The nurses made sure there was no more blood in the room before the big brothers came in. I appreciated this because it would have freaked them out to come into a bloody room. Finally, it was their turn to meet Baby Noah!
"Where is he?"
This was the moment he spotted him for the first time.
And, the infatuation begins...




Luke was so excited to hold him. The little stuffed animal is "Max", the class mascot for his preschool class that the kids get to take home from time to time.
Greg and I had never seen him so infatuated with someone or something in his entire life. Borderline obsessed with Noah. Such a sweet big brother.



First family pictures as a family of FIVE! (Still hard to believe!)

Proud grandparents. Notice Luke still can't keep his eyes off of Noah.

After feeding him for the first time and having some special time with just Greg and me, he was sent to the nursery for his weight, bath and observation under the warmers.

Seven pounds, eleven ounces, 20 inches long. Perfect boy.
Sweet head of hair:
The observers:



His first bath:

Luke and Jack were exhausted by this point. So, Greg's parents headed back to Tyler, and my mom brought the boys home for some rest. I was transported to my postpartum room, and Noah spent a few hours in the nursery. I was SO ready to see him again. Greg and I spent a good hour or two just admiring him when he came to our room.

Later that evening, my mom came back with the big brothers. She said that Luke didn't stop talking about Noah the entire evening. They brought Noah a Happy Birthday cake with some plates and forks. So sweet and so much fun. Thanks for being to thoughtful and making it special for all of us, Mom!


They stayed a short time, gave Noah some love, and headed home to get to bed. Greg and I got some decent rest that night because they require babies to stay in the nursery while parents sleep at night.

November 9, 2011. One of the best days of our lives.

"Happy Zero Birthday, Noah!" (as Luke and Jack say!)

No comments: